“Spring Winds” Concert Is April 11, 2017, in Bldg. E Auditorium Published on Monday, Apr. 10, 2017
Students in the SF Wind Ensemble will perform at the 10th annual “Spring Winds” concert at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 11, 2017, in the Building E Auditorium on the west side of the Northwest Campus of Santa Fe College, 3000 NW 83 Street, Gainesville. Admission is free and Musicians United, the student club that organizes the event, will hold a bake sale to raise money for the group’s year-end tour.
The Wind Ensemble is directed by SF Music Professor and Band Director Steve Bingham, Ph.D. A special guest performer for this concert is SF Music Professor Lynn Sandefur, who teaches vocal music and directs the Santa Fe Singers.
Backed by the Wind Ensemble, Sandefur will perform tunes by George and Ira Gershwin. “A Gershwin Tribute to Love” features “’S Wonderful,” “Love Is Here To Stay,” “They Can’t Take That Away From Me” and “Embraceable You.”
Hand drumming ensemble will open the concert as part of their final exam. Professor Larson will conduct them as their perform for your delight.
The program also includes the following selections:
- “Forever Strong, Always Brave,” a tribute to our people in the military, conducted by Michael Gray, a music major/student conductor.
- “Infernal Dance and Finale” from the Stravinsky ballet, “The Firebird.”
- “Bugler’s Holiday” by Leroy Anderson, featuring three trumpet players.
- “Italian Holiday,” a medley of Italian indigenous melodies: “Vesti La Giubba,” “Funiculi Funicula,” “Torna A Surriento,” “Tarantella” and “O Solo Mio.”
- “Captain America March,” a tribute to the U.S. Armed Forces in World War II.
- “America, the Beautiful,” by Samuel Augustus Ward, arranged for band by Carmen Dragon.
Proceeds from the Musicians United bake sale will help to pay for the upcoming tour by the college’s bands that will include performances at Sidney Lanier Center in Gainesville, Santa Fe High School in Alachua and the Lakeside Jazz Festival at Port Orange in Volusia County.
“Spring Winds” is organized by Musicians United and sponsored by SF Student Life. For more information, call Steve Bingham at 352-281-4035.
For more information about the SF Fine Arts programs, call Fine Arts Department Chairperson Alora Haynes, 352-395-5296.