Santa Fe’s visual art students have spent the 2010-2011 academic year developing their skills and ideas into imagery. Come see the results of their development as artists at the Visual Arts Annual Student Art Show, April 15-29, in the Santa Fe Gallery, Building M, room 147.
The featured art represents a wide range of media such as drawing, painting, mixed media, ceramics, photography, sculpture, book art, digital art and more. Students have submitted more than 300 pieces for consideration but only 80 will be selected for the exhibit.
The exhibit will also feature the artwork chosen by SF faculty to represent the college in the annual League of Innovation Art competition, a prestigious honor for any young artist. The League is a collaborative group of 19 community colleges throughout the United States and Canada; one of the league’s goals is to strengthen and promote art education at community colleges.
This year’s winners are:
- Jamey Moore Love’s sterling silver necklace which features a winged heart
- A photograph of foilage by Paula Prescott
- Purnima Sims’ “Self Portrait with Scarf” using oil paints
- Radniel Padron’s “Excavation” created with ink and acrylic on paper
- Rukmini Poddar’s digital photograph entitled “Two Bulbs”
Sue Jester, SF Professor Emerita, is serving as this year’s juror, and at the opening mixer, 7-9 p.m. Friday, April 15, will select the best in show ($100), first- ($75), second-($50) and third-place ($25) awards, as well as honorable mentions. Fine Arts Chair Alora Haynes will be announcing the awards.
Gallery hours are noon-4 p.m. every weekday with the exception of college holidays. The exhibit is free and open to the public.
For more information, please contact Gallery Director Jayné Grant at 352-395-5464.
~ This press release was written by College Relations Intern Jennifer McKeown
- Gallery Director Jayné Grant at 352-395-5464 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Julie Garrett, media relations coordinator, 352-395-5430 (office) or 352-870-2924 (cell) or email@example.com