Pam Carpenter, Alachua County Supervisor of Elections, announces the opportunity for local college or university students to apply for a $1,200 scholarship through the Florida State Association of Supervisors of Elections (FSASE).
FSASE will award one $1,200 scholarship. The deadline to submit applications to the Alachua County Supervisor of Elections is March 18.
The scholarships will be awarded to full-time students attending an accredited Florida university or college. Applicants must be enrolled or accepted as a junior or senior and be either a political science, public or business administration or journalism/mass communications major.
Applicants must also
- Demonstrate financial need and furnish a financial statement which shows what their own contribution is to their educational expenses. (Student does not have to submit an official form, but can send a statement of their financial need)
- Submit two current letters of recommendation which must accompany the application or be received by the deadline: one from the college or university last attended or graduated from and one from a citizen of good standing in the community
- Submit a resume of their high school and/or college activities as well as what they have done for the community
- Have maintained a “C” average or above for the previous year
- Be a U.S. citizen and have been a bonafide resident of Florida for two years preceding the academic year for which the application is made
- Be a registered voter
Applications may be obtained online or from the Alachua County Supervisor of Elections office at 111 SE 1st Avenue, Gainesville. Completed applications and letters of recommendation must be submitted to the Supervisor of Elections of the county in which you are registered to vote.
All Alachua County applications will be reviewed by the Supervisor of Elections office and one finalist will be forwarded to the FSASE Scholarship Committee to represent Alachua County. The FSASE Scholarship Committee will select one winner ($1,200 scholarship) from the finalists submitted from Supervisors of Elections throughout the state of Florida.
The scholarship is awarded in June; therefore applicants must still be a student post-June of the award year.
For additional information, contact the Alachua County Supervisor of Elections at 352-374-5252.