Are You At Risk?
Type 2 diabetes is a serious condition that can lead to health issues such as heart attack, stroke, blindness, and kidney failure, or loss of toes, feet or legs.
Be aware of risk factors:
- Immediate family history of diabetes
- Over age 45
- Hispanic, African-American, Native American or Asian ethnicity
- Metabolic/Insulin Resistance Syndrome
- Body mass index (BMI) greater than 25
- Hypertension or high blood pressure
- HDL cholesterol levels under 35 mg/dL and/or a triglyceride level over 250 mg/dL
- History of gestational diabetes.
- Impaired glucose tolerance
Know the signs:
- Increased thirst
- Increased hunger after eating
- Dry mouth
- Frequent urination
- Unexplained weight loss
- Blurred vision
- Loss of consciousness
For more Health and Wellness information, log in to FloridaBlue.com. Individuals who may be at risk or have signs of diabetes should see their doctor right away. Early medical and lifestyle interventions can help prevent more serious complications—for a healthier