The Santa Fe College women’s basketball team ended 2015 on a high note, picking up three straight wins, including two by 20-plus points, and will look to continue their hot streak when they open Mid-Florida Conference play on Jan. 6, at home against Hillsborough CC at 6 p.m.
SF finished the first half of the season with an 8-8 record, playing the third-most difficult schedule in the nation according to www.masseyratings.com, out of 412 NJCAA programs across the three different levels. All eight losses were to FCSAA top 10 teams, and five of those losses came against NJCAA nationally ranked top 10 teams.
Massey Ratings has Santa Fe #37 overall based on their formula, and #33 in their power ratings, out of 412 teams. Four of the SF losses came at the hands of Massey rated #1 Gulf Coast State and #4 Northwest Florida State. The conference schedule won’t get any easier as the Saints will match up with FCSAA #2 Daytona State, #5 Florida State College-Jacksonville, and #6 College of Central Florida, as well as Hillsborough.
“We are excited to get MFC play under way,” said SF Coach Chanda Stebbins. “We feel that our pre-conference schedule has prepared us well for the rigors of our conference and would like to use that strength now. I like how hard the girls have been practicing and playing. It seems that they are really beginning to understand the things that we value.”
Not only did the Saints make positive strides on the court as the fall wore on, they also were extremely successful in the classroom, finishing with a 3.19 cumulative team GPA.
“We are certainly very pleased with our academic performance and I guess that just shows you how fortunate I am as a coach to be surrounded by players who really value this opportunity they have to play college basketball and complete a college degree,” said Stebbins.
Other notable stats from the first half of the season:
- Rayven Wade – 2nd in the FSCAA with 11.4 rebounds per game, 10th in FG% (51%), averages 11.4 rpg/10 points per game.
- Sonya Franklin – 12th in the FSCAA in assists at 3.6 a game. Averages 13 ppg.
- Team is 11th in the FSCAA in scoring offense at 67.4 a game.
- Brianca Roberts has caught fire in December averaging 13 points per game.
- Ari Wright has shot 50% from the field since coming back from the break of finals (Dec. 18).
- Every SF loss has been at the hands of a FSCAA top ten team (except for out of state loss to the hands of undefeated Monroe College NY who is ranked 15th nationally by the Massey ranking).
Fans can watch Wednesday night’s game, and every other MFC home contest, live at www.santafesaints.com/saintssportsnetwork. For complete schedules, stats, and more information please visit www.santafesaints.com.