October 29, 2018 – Celebrate Halloween at the Santa Fe College Teaching Zoo, as they present the 25th Annual “Boo at the Zoo” Thursday, Oct. 31, from 3 – 7:30 p.m.
The zoo will be closed during that day so the SF Teaching Zoo students and staff can transform the zoo into a family-friendly Halloween wonderland. Once the gates open at 3 p.m., admission to the zoo will be one canned good per person. The collected canned goods will be donated to Catholic Charities and Gainesville Harvest food banks to help students and families in need. Last year, the zoo collected 5,428 cans from families that attended “Boo at the Zoo.”
Trick-or-treaters need to make sure they have a bag or bucket to collect all of the candy at Boo at the Zoo. And the candy the zoo gives out is all from companies that promote the sustainable use of palm oil. Palm oil comes from the African oil palm tree, which, when planted, destroys the habitat of wild gibbons. By using companies that promote sustainable use, they help protect the future of gibbons.
There will be plenty of other entertainment on hand as well. Danscompany of Gainesville will be there performing “Thriller” several times during the event. Fun 4 Gator Kids will have an interactive KidZone set up. And Dominos will be at the zoo, providing pizza and refreshments for a small fee.
Because of the crowds that attend, traffic will be rerouted on the Northwest Campus. From 2 until 7:30 p.m., North Road will be closed to vehicle traffic from NW 91st Street to the SF Gym to ensure the safety of visitors to Boo at the Zoo. SF students, faculty and staff will need to find an alternate route to get on or off campus during those hours.
There are a few rules and regulations for everyone who attends:
- Please do not feed the animals, or the people dressed like animals.
- Although you can dress up like your pet if you want to, pets are not permitted at the zoo.
- Please stay on the pathways and respect any barriers even if you can fly or are a ghost that cannot be restrained by this dimension.
- If you are coming to the zoo at 6 p.m. or later, it is recommended that you bring a flashlight with you to help navigate the trails.
- Please keep all wigs, tails, ears, wings, capes, fins, eyes and other costume accessories on at all times.
- And please, place all litter (that includes candy wrappers) in the proper trash receptacles.
Happy Halloween from the students and staff at the SF Teaching Zoo!