Position Description: The Career Exploration Center (CEC) is looking for qualified, eager students, capable of working with diverse populations. The CEC, located in R-217, assists students in making career choices and plans to achieve their dreams. Our resources help students learn about opportunities available to them, including careers, programs of study, and the colleges and universities to meet their goals. Our student employees serve Santa Fe College students, prospective students, the staff of the CEC, and Student Affairs as a whole.
Federal Work Study Eligibility from Federal Work-Study – Financial Aid (sfcollege.edu) :
Your eligibility is determined by the information you provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) the general eligibility for federal financial aid, and the following additional requirements:
- You indicated on your FAFSA your interest in Federal Work-Study.
- You are Pell Grant-eligible for the 2021-2022 award year.
- You have not reached the maximum financial aid award you can receive for the year.
- You are enrolled in 6 credit hours or more toward your program of study for the term (including mini-terms/sessions).
- You pass a background check with SF Human Resources (HR).
Hours: The CEC is open between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Students will set their weekly schedules with center Coordinator depending on their availability.
To Apply: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org your resume, contact information, and times you are available to meet. This position will be open until filled.
Benefits to Work-Study: This is an excellent way to become an expert on your own career field. You will attain work skills that all employers need and build your resume. As you explore careers with others, you will learn about the rest of the economy within which your career field operates.
Skills you will practice
Communications Skills: Listen to others without interrupting, ask good questions, and talk to others.
Social Skills: Understand people’s reactions and look for ways to help people.
Problem Solving: Notice a problem and figure out the best way to solve it.
Technology: Use online resources to administer career assessments, gather, and share information.
- Learn how the CEC fits into the Mission, Values, and Goals of SF and Student Affairs.
- Learn the purpose of various career exploration resources and how to utilize them.
- Greet and check-in users as they arrive.
- Communicate with students and visitors to determine their needs.
- Select initial action plan for students and visitors: refer to CEC staff, serve them as trained, or redirect them to other appropriate campus offices.
- Teach use of career exploration resources that match students’ and visitors’ needs.
- Meet with CEC staff to share progress made by the students and visitors served.
- Contribute your student perspective on CEC projects, e.g., classroom presentations, tabling events, community events, CEC webpages, flyers, etc.
- Create an ePortfolio to share with users as an example or to build resume for personal career