September 16, 2019 – Santa Fe College Professor of Music and Band Director Dr. Steve Bingham, Ph.D., who is retiring at the end of fall term 2019, is sending out a special invitation to former members of the Santa Fe Wind Ensemble to attend a reunion “Winds and My Classics” concert at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 3, 2019, in the SF Fine Arts Hall.
Tickets are $15 for adults; $9 for University of Florida students with a UF identification card, seniors over 60, and children 12 and under; $5 for Santa Fe College (SF) students with an SF identification card; and free for Santa Fe College faculty, staff and retirees with a valid SF identification card. For information or tickets, call 352-395-4181 or visit sfcollege.edu/finearts.
“Because this will be the last time that I will direct the Santa Fe Winds on the Fine Arts Hall stage, I have chosen musical pieces that have been my favorites throughout my tenure here at Santa Fe College,” Bingham explained. “I have asked my two associates in the Music Department, Dr. David Smith and Dr. Garrett Hecker, to direct the band as a celebration of our unity in directing, teaching and mentoring our students. I am also reaching out to all the students who have performed in the Santa Fe Wind Ensemble these past 12 years and asking them to be at this concert, either in the audience or on stage!”
The concert program will include the following selections, directed by Bingham except as noted.
- “Semper Fidelis,” a concert march by John Philip Sousa, conducted by Dr. Smith
- “The Hounds of Spring” by Alfred Reed, also conducted by Dr. Smith
- “The Marriage of Figaro” by W. A. Mozart, conducted by Dr. Hecker
- “Irish Tune from County Derry” for military band by Percy Grainger
- “El Camino Real” by Alfred Reed
- “Morning, Noon and Night in Vienna” by Franz von Suppe, clarinet solo by Keven Jimenez
- “Esprit de Corps” by Robert Jager
“Many thanks to our administrators, staff and faculty of the Music, Dance and Theatre departments and the Fine Arts Hall, and to Chris Sharp for his leadership in founding the Santa Fe Winds,” Bingham added.
For more information about the concert, call Bingham at 352-395-5313.