October 3, 2019 – Santa Fe College is introducing the Period Panel. The goal of the Period Panel is to collect menstrual products and raise funds so that the college can offer free menstrual products in student restrooms across the Northwest Campus and at all SF educational centers in Alachua and Bradford counties.
Research shows that 86% of women have started their period unexpectedly in public without the supplies that they need. This drive is an effort to meet the needs of our student population. The Period Panel is co-chaired by Student Body President Kate Santacruz, Vice President/CFO Ginger Gibson, and Vice President for Student Affairs Naima Brown and is made up of staff members who represent various departments across campus.
The collection campaign will launch on October 10 with a screening of the Vagina Monologues – a frank, funny and fabulous feature film that provides insight into women’s varied experiences. The 77-minute film will begin at 1 p.m. in Building S, Room 29. Faculty are encouraged to bring/send their students to the kick-off. We are asking attendees who can to donate a package of menstrual products.
After the screening, containers to collect menstrual product donations will be placed in each building on campus and at each center. One person from each building/center has agreed to serve as a Campaign Champion for the Period Panel. Campaign champions place, monitor and oversee donation collection containers in their respective areas. A list of SF Campaign Champions is available on SF’s Period Panel webpage.
Students, faculty and staff that would like to make a monetary donation for menstrual products may see any of the Period Panelists listed below.
- Doug Bagby, Associate Director, Student Life
- Sarah Blanc, Coordinator, Civic Engagement and Service
- Dawn Blizzard, Student Health Care Center
- Naima Brown, Vice President for Student Affairs
- Ginger Gibson, CFO and Vice President for Finance
- Alora Haynes, Chair, Fine Arts
- Carol Thomas, Professor, Science for Health Programs
- Teri McClellan, Assistant Vice President for Office of Advancement
- Tracy Moorman, Advisor, High School Dual Enrollment
- Tracey Reeves, Director, Student Life
- Kate Santacruz, Student Body President