December 2, 2020 –– In keeping with higher education industry standards, Communications & Creative Services (CCS) is now Marketing & Communications (MarCom). Its mission is the same – to strategically advance the stature of the college and improve the recruitment and retention of our students by producing and providing direction for online, print and promotional materials, as well as consistent and meaningful media relations.
The MarCom team produces advertising campaigns across multiple media channels, including print, outdoor, traditional radio, digital radio, television, digital media and social media. They also work in partnership with the Admissions Office to promote recruiting events like Open House and College Night, and with local destinations like our SF Teaching Zoo, fine arts galleries and venues, Saints athletics complex, and the Kika Silva Pla Planetarium to showcase the ways Santa Fe College enriches the community.
Managing communications for the college also includes crisis messaging. The college website can quickly pivot from a foundational marketing tool for our academic programs and support services, to a distribution channel for life-saving guidance during a hurricane or global pandemic. Podcasts and social media posts can tell our most engaging stories and show the ways we live our brand. They also produce a measurable impact on our reputation, which affects our revenue.
Tips for collaborating with the MarCom team:
- Become familiar with the college brand guide, especially if you are using the college logo or representing the college in our community.
- Request MarCom’s help with promotional efforts using our new project request form and remember the following:
- Focus on what you want to accomplish. Bring your ideas, and allow the MarCom team to suggest creative, innovative ways to reach your target audience within your budget and in the time available.
- Plan ahead and ask for what you need well in advance. Last minute requests and rushed deadlines diminish effectiveness for you and they impact project timelines for other requestors at the college who planned ahead.
- Speak with your supervisor before submitting your project. If you want to discuss your strategy before entering a project request, contact MarCom’s director, Jen Ambrose.
- Remember to reach out and touch base with the MarCom team throughout your project, and provide content and feedback when it is needed.
- Follow the college social media accounts and share our posts! This boosts our engagement and shares our message with a wider network.
In the past year, SF’s MarCom team has had to redefine the way we promote the college to our potential students and community patrons. If you have suggestions for marketing the college amid this era of COVID-19, please let us know!