September 1, 2023 – Santa Fe College President Paul Broadie II, Ph.D. and Vice President for Student Affairs Dr. Naima Brown released the following statement to the college community as many begin recovery efforts following Hurricane Idalia.
Santa Fe College remains concerned about our students who are from one of the counties that experienced direct impact from Hurricane Idalia. We hope that you, your family, and home have emerged safely from the storm. In aftermath of a storm, it can be difficult to deal with immediate challenges and conflicting priorities. During a time when so much is out of your control (like when power will be restored) let us help you stay on track with your educational goals. If you require assistance with your recovery, please know that SF is here to support you with your recovery as you continue to make progress in your classes.
- If you require assistance working with faculty regarding class attendance or to get extra time on assignments or tests, please reach out to the SF Ombudsperson. Dr. Bea Awoniyi may be reached at 352-395-5513 or by email.
- If you need a safe place to take a shower and recharge your electronics, the SF Gymnasium can assist. SF Athletics will do their best to provide soap, shampoo and towels for currently enrolled students and their families during this time.
- If you need assistance with food, Saints Food Share provides non-perishable groceries and baked goods to currently enrolled students. Contact Sarah Blanc for assistance.
- Saints Share Wear is the College’s thrift shop for men’s, women’s, and children’s clothing, shoes, and accessories. While all items are usually priced at $1 each, students impacted by Idalia will be able to get up to 10 items for free. Contact Mikayla Robinson for assistance.
- Currently enrolled SF students have FREE, 24/7 access to virtual care services with TimelyCare — the virtual health and well-being platform designed for college students. This includes on-demand or scheduled mental health and physical health services. Students do not need insurance to access TimelyCare services. Visit timelycare.com/sfcollege to get started.
Please let us know how Santa Fe College can help you through this challenging time.
Dr. Paul Broadie Dr. Naima Brown
President Vice President for Student Affairs