Get free tax preparation help through VITA just by making an appointment for assistance. VITA, or Volunteer Income Tax Assistance, is an IRS-sponsored program that works with United Way of North Central Florida and other community partners to assist families during the tax season, which will run through April 15.
VITA offers free tax preparation and electronic filing for families or individuals whose income for 2012 is $51,000 or less.
To get your taxes done, you will need to bring:
- Valid photo ID, such as a driver’s license
- Social Security cards and birth dates for the taxpayer(s) and dependent(s)
- A copy of your 2011 tax return, if you have it
- Income documentation from your employer, such as a W-2 form
- Other documentation that may apply, including child care expenses, mortgage company statements, adoption expenses, alimony paid or received, documentation of the purchase of a home, notices from the IRS you may have received, property tax bills, college tuition and student loan interest statements, lottery and gambling winnings, prizes and awards and scholarships and fellowships
- A voided blank check to get your refund deposited into your bank account within 7-14 days after filing electronically.